The Great 2015 Coin Search

Where are the 2015 commemorative coins?It’s nearly December, and one question keeps cropping up here at Change Checker – where are all the 2015 commemorative coins?

The new designs for 2016 have been revealed and yet we have not seen a single one of this year’s commemorative coins in circulation.

What’s happened to them? Where have they gone? Will they ever get released – and as they only have a month to run, will there be some rare low mintages?

For us, and I’m sure other Change Checkers, this is an incredibly frustrating position. All of the anniversaries that are being commemorated have long past, and the opportunity for new collectors to get excited about the year’s coins has faded away.

All we want to do is find these coins!

In fact, we’d like to see The Royal Mint put the commemorative coins in circulation before the anniversary dates.

Do you agree? Have your say in our poll below…

This entry was posted in 50p coins, £2 coins, Blog Home, Coin News, General info and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to The Great 2015 Coin Search

1. Richard says:

I just got my first battle of england… 50p are out there now!!! 😀

Liked by 2 people

2. amy lewis says:

I was going throw my change to day and I so my £2 coin and it looks so different and shiny to the normal ones we get so wen i looked at it I got the mint royal first world war coin 2015 it’s a little thicker and shiny I like it so going to keep that safe

Liked by 1 person

3. Gabriel says:

Hi guys! I want to share with you that yesterday I’ve got in my change the Navy coin… but it wasn’t a normal one… it was PROOF!!! (I would say its the silver piedfort version!) The thing is that I notice it doesn’t have the legend on the side of the coin… I’ve saw a few months ago an early magna carta coin… but it was a normal BU one… but my navy one, I mean… if you see the portrait of HRH the Queen… its simply amazing, you can’t confuse between a normal BU and a proof coin!!! Any others that found this coin on their change… it was a normal BU? Or could it be that the famous 100 that the Royal Mint released on the HMS Belfast were proof coins, rather BU??? Any comments?

4. Richard says:

Today, I’ve got in my change the Army coin… I am still puzzled, since the coin appearence is… PROOF! (?) And to add more mystery… there is NO leyend on the side of the coin… by no means is a BU normal coin… but also, it puzzles me that a piedfort coin could be found on the change… would it be this one of those 100?

PS1: It is not a normal BU, its a shiny perfect piedfort coin, because seeing the matt finish on the face of HRH is simple amazing… this is the first time I saw this one “on the wild”… and under these premises… its simply amazing!!! For those that already found it on their change… did you found normal BU coins?
    PS2: A couple of months ago, I found a Magna Carta coin, but it was a regular BU one… one of the most beautiful £2 coins released so far, but a BU… so this is why I am so puzzled with my finding!!!

• Mark Liversidge says:

Hi Richard, the Army coin is the most recent WWI commemorative design and is not due to enter circulation until next year, so it is very surprising that you have found one in your change! Could you perhaps share a photo of it on our Facebook page?

5. Inna says:

I have just got £2 (technology) 2015 !!)))

Liked by 1 person

6. Tom says:

Hi, they should defiantly put them into circulation before the date. I have been changing literally hundreds of pounds twice a week looking for there’s coins but nothing arises. Nothing worse than going through all those coins week by week and finding the same ones you already have. I even have my bank holding any coins that pass through their hands I want but still nothing! Very frustraiting

Liked by 1 person

7. staples says:

Picked up the £1 coin yesterday, well happy.

Liked by 1 person

8. Nigel says:

I was lucky enough to pick up the new £1 coin yesterday in a pub, we’re are the £2 coins ?.good hunting out there.

Liked by 1 person

9. Barrie WJ says:

Presumably the reason for not releasing the commemorative coins is that the more expensive brilliant uncirculated coins haven’t reached the projected sales targets. Maybe the Royal Mint is becoming too expensive and taking collectors for a ride!

10. Red says:

£1’s are out… Got a couple yesterday

11. Paul says:

Hi

With frustration iv been goin to my bank withdrawing 1,000 of coins at a time the £2, and 50ps all year to try capture this years new coin only to find out today that they’ve not yet been released into circulation! I’m not happy to say the least could you tell me when they will be released and how I can get hold of them as I collect them for my children

Regatds

• Mark Liversidge says:

Hi Paul, unfortunately only the Royal Mint can tell you when the new coins will be issued – hopefully we won’t have to wait much longer! We are very impressed with your commitment to finding the new coins and wish you the best of luck with your change checking!

12. kamH says:

I contacted the Royal Mint this week about this very issue. They put me on to the Bank of England, who referred me to the Royal Mint! Seems like no one wants to know.

13. Darren says:

According to the Royal Mint 23/11/15 the £1 is already released & the 50p & £2 are expected in the next couple of weeks!

• Mark Liversidge says:

Let’s hope you’re right Darren as there has been no sign of them so far!

• James Golding says:

I have seen the £1 once (I managed to get two in one go), but I haven’t seen it since.
        I’m starting to doubt whether the £2 and 50p really exist.

• matt says:

the new queens head design with earings 2105 coins.
      i have collected in change so far are the £2, 50p 20p 2p but no commemorative ones.

14. Pete says:

Get them released now

• Simon says:

I have just got the 2015 1 pound and 10 p in my change

When do they release each years coinage – Is it at the end of the year? I would have thought it would be at the beginning.

• Mark Liversidge says:

Hi Simon, the coins are supposed to be released according to demand from banks. However, in recent years the definitive designs are released much earlier and the commemorative designs don’t appear until November or December at the earliest.