£1 Coin Minting Error ‘Confirmed’

Rumours of the Dual-Dated £1 Coin appear to have been confirmed in the national press today.

Although we haven’t seen the coin ourselves, we’ve spoken to the collector claiming to be in possession of one and seen a number of images, leading us to believe that he has found a genuine error.

The error in question is a 12-sided £1 coin with two different dates – 2016 on the obverse and 2017 micro engraved on the reverse.

The micro engraved ‘2017’ can only been seen using a microscope

So, what everybody wants to know is, “what is this coin worth?”

At this stage it’s difficult to answer with any certainty. The error is very hard to spot with the naked eye and there is currently no indication as to how many of these error coins have been struck.

Probably the best example to compare it to is the 2008 undated 20p where there was an initial spike in interest and some coins sold for an inflated price in the thousands. However, this did settle down fairly quickly and today you’d expect to pick one of these up for between £50-75.

What is clear, is that this appears to be a genuine error and as such considerably more collectable than many of the mis-strikes and tampered with £1 coins that have recently appeared online.

Have you found a Dual-Dated £1 coin?

We’ll be keeping Change Checkers updated with the latest information on this Dual-Dated £1 Coin – sign up below for the latest updates.

This entry was posted in £1 coins, Coin Info, Coin News and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to £1 Coin Minting Error ‘Confirmed’

1. Glenn says:

I was fortunate enough to have a dual dated £1 coin in my change yesterday:-)

2. Derek Waters says:

Hi, there is no mention on your website of the new 2016 one pound coins with the milled edge out of sync, the milled edge is suppose to be to the right of the hologram shield, but on a minority of coins it is to the left of the shield.
    This has only been observed on the 2016 dated coins and so far none of the 2017 have been found with this variation.
    Another website says it’s 1 in 20 to 30 coins with this, but they don’t mention the size of their sample, of the 150 coins that I had on the first day that the coins were available at the banks,I found 2, I think their data is inaccurate, do you have any facts available as to the true figure.

3. Dom says:

Hi, I have a new 12sided £1coin with the micro date missing\unclear there are 4 dots\marks where the 2016 should be. Can’t possibly be wear and tear, could it be error\ miss-struck?

• Luke Hearn says:

Hi Dom, We have seen a few examples of the 12-sided £1 coin where the micro engraving looks like dots. In our opinion these are “poorly” struck versions, which has resulted in the micro-writing being effectively lost. I hope this helps, Luke

4. dml25 says:

I’m chuffed to bits for Rich who found the coin. He is an experienced coin collector so knows what he is looking at so I am delighted it has been confirmed genuine.
    He’s an honest , hard working lad and he thoroughly deserves to have a nice find. Good luck Rich.

5. Janet Washington says:

I have a queen Elizabeth 50 pence coin. I’d like to know what it’s worth

6. Anthony Grey says:

My opinion of this is if this is true then it’s not a genuine minting error it’s been manufactured
    By some one in the royal mint, or the royal mint authorise a person to do this to make a lot of interest in the collector market and make a lot of money from this, this mark is so small it would have to be placed in the die used for the minting of the coin, to much of this is happening with coins thes’s days and for me it’s ruining the true market out there.

Regards Anthony

7. Daniel Millar says:

Is it only on the thistle?

8. Sara Rigby says:

Hello I found odd one today with hologram missing and some of the letters are missing to the line round queen face. Look odd

9. Krzysztof says:

I’m taking pics and enlarging using mine mobile – quick and effective

10. Gerald Mortimer says:

Mine sais 2015

11. Rachel Wheatland says:

I’ve found a couple of 2017 pound coins with micro 2017 dates on reverse edge

12. Peter H Dendy says:

No comment until I’ve seen one

13. K1p says:

Curious if this was a circulated issue or BU? (Thanks!)

14. Nigel says:

Cannot see a year stamp, is this a wind up?

• Luke Hearn says:

Hi Nigel, if you have a look at the illustration, you’ll see that there is a year stamp on the obverse face and the micro engraved date stamp on the reverse is very small around the edge of the coin. You will need a microscope to see it. Thanks Luke