Round £1 Coin transition date sooner than expected!

The Royal Mint initially predicted that the number of new 12-sided £1 coins in circulation would overtake the Round £1 Coin by August this year.

12-sided £1 Coins will overtake the Round £1 Coin by July

However, due to the amount of coins that have already been returned, 8 million in total, the date has been revised to as soon as late July. Of the returned coins, most will be re-used to produce new 12-sided £1 coins, with the rest being disposed of.

This is important news for industries that deal in large quantities of £1 coins, such as vending and arcade machines, who’ll need to bring forward their machine conversation date.

Most importantly, for Change Checkers this means it is going to become increasingly challenging to complete The Great One Pound Coin Race. However, we know that you love a challenge and we’re here to help you get across the finishing line.

For all the best Round £1 Coin collecting hints and tips, take a look at our video:

For the brave ones amongst you, you can still sign up to The Great One Pound Coin Race, there’s still over 100 days to go!

Good Luck!

This entry was posted in £1 coins, Blog Home, Coin Info, Coin News, General info and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Round £1 Coin transition date sooner than expected!

1. Courtney Palmer-Jones says:

It’s so hard to find the round £1 coins already! I’ve only received one in the last couple of weeks! Nowhere and no-one has them anymore!

• Luke Hearn says:

Hi Courtney, we’d agree- personally I haven’t had a Round £1 coin in my change for a week of so now. Thanks Luke

2. Iv completed my collection of all the old round pound coins but one question do you think its more important to collect the oldest pound coin of each year? Ie. The first pound coin came out four different years 1983,1993,2003,2008. So is it more important to try and collect the 1983 rather than any of the others?

• Luke Hearn says:

Hi Keeley, the honest answer is that it’s completely up to you. Some collectors choose to collect focussing heavily on the date, which does make it more of a challenge. However, as long as you have fun collecting change, we’re happy. Thanks Luke

3. Kath Mackenzie says:

I’m running out of time, I have been trying so hard to get my last two. Scotland,Edinburgh City 2011 and Wales Cardiff City 2011. Please help. I’m collecting for my granddaughters.

4. M.Barclay says:

I have had my full collection of £1 coins so how do I get my medal

5. Alan Cosker says:

Ihave collected all and have some duplicates contact me on line at. accosker@yahoo.co.uk and I will post you a list and prices

6. Dee says:

I tried a new one pound coin in an M&S trolley not yet converted from old pounds. Worked fine!

7. Neil says:

Did the 1999 lion rampant coin, ever go in to circulation?

• Luke Hearn says:

Hi Neil, The 1999 Lion Rampant £1 Coin did not enter circulation, it was only available in special packs from The Royal Mint. Thanks Luke

• Jim Kentley says:

Dear Neil, there are 5 one pound coins that aren’t in circulation.
      They are – 1998 (coat of arms), 1999 (lion rampant), 2015( shield of arms 5th portrait),
      2016 (shield of arms) and 2016 ( last round pound).
      All are only available from Royal Mint sets.