Can’t wait – click here to reveal the UK’s “scarcest” £2 coin

Change Checker has released the first-ever scarcity index for £2 circulating coins. Following the recently published indexes for the Round £1 Coin and 50p Coin, the Scarcity Index tracks which £2 coins are the most scarce and collectable, using a unique combination of mintage, collecting and swap data to give the most up-to-date picture of today’s £2 collecting market.

Recent Issues are a hit with collectors

Recent issues score highly in £2 Scarcity Index

However, it has been some of The Royal Mint’s most recent issues that have dominated the top 10 places, with four of the coins coming from the last two years- First World War Navy £2 (2015), The Great Fire of London £2 (2016) and the Shakespeare Comedy and Tragedy £2 (2016).

Whilst all the mintage information is still not available for these issues, intense swap demand and limited numbers of collectors who list the coins in their collections, suggest they may number amongst some of the more sought after issues for years to come– surely a reflection of the UK public’s ever increasing interest in new coin issues.

Commonwealth Games tops the charts

The four Commonwealth Games £2 coins top the Scarcity index

However, it’s the 2002 Commonwealth Games £2 Coin that tops the new Scarcity Index. Whilst almost 2,500,000 £2 coins were issued for the Games, it is only the most eagle-eyed collectors who fully understand the reason for their scarcity.

That’s because there is not just one Commonwealth Games £2 coin but in fact four different designs – only identified by a hardly distinguishable cameo design represented each of the UK’s constituent nations, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England.

The result is that rather than 2,500,000 coins being issued, the mintages range between 485,500 and 771,500, helping to cement the coins’ position at the top of £2 Scarcity Index.

CLICK HERE TO SEE THE FULL INDEX

How the Scarcity Index works

Generally collectors have had to rely upon mintage figures to identify the scarcest coins.  But they only tell part of the story.  Trying to find a good quality coin from 15 – 20 years ago, even for a higher mintage issue, is much more challenging than a more recent issue, as coins become damaged over time and are ultimately removed from circulation.

Additionally, some designs are more hoarded than others by people who might not normally collect coins – the recent poignant First World War £2 Coin series being an example.  Finally, it can be up to a couple of years before the Royal Mint eventually confirms the actual mintage for an issue.

That’s why we have combined the mintage information with two other key pieces of information.

• How many of each design are listed as “collected” by Change Checkers, indicating the relative ease of finding a particular coin.
  • The number of times a design has been requested as a swap over the previous 3 months, showing the current level of collector demand.

Importantly, as new coins are released and popularity rises and falls across different designs the Scarcity Index will be updated quarterly allowing Change Checkers to track the relative performance of the UK’s circulation coins.

How much are my coins worth?

The Scarcity Index does not necessarily equate to value but it is certainly an effective indicator.  For example, the Commonwealth Games Northern Ireland £2 coin commands a premium of 15 to 20 times face value of eBay.

As for the more recent issues that have made the top 10, it is perhaps too early to tell. But what is clear, is that more and more of the British public are checking their change in the hope of finding interesting or rare coins in their pocket – perhaps even the Commonwealth Games Northern Ireland £2 coin – you just have to be sharp-eyed.

What about £1 and 50p Coins?

The £1 Scarcity Index has already been published for the Round £1 coins and, because they are no longer being issued, this is now set in stone.  You can also visit the Change Checker 50p Scarcity Index, which will continue to be updated quarterly.

2-Pound-Scarcity-Index

To receive a FREE notification when the updated Scarcity Indexes are published (including the new £2 Scarcity Index), please complete your details below

This entry was posted in Blog Home, Scarcity Index and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

52 Responses to Recent £2 coin issues ranked amongst the most sought after by new Scarcity Index

1. I’ve got must coins

2. Marion Brown says:

I Have a £2 coin dated 2009. We’ll tak a cup aw kindnefs yet, For auld lang syne. is it collectable?

3. Adam Grigg says:

I have in my possession a £2 london underground coin ( the one with the train)
    Something seemed strange about it. So I had a look on line. The only thing I found which it could be is a silver proof centre with a red gold outer edge. Could I be right ? The colour is so different compared to other £2 coins.
    Any help would be appreciated
    Regards adam

• Luke Hearn says:

Hi Adam, thanks for your message. Without actually seeing the coin it is hard to give you a definitive answer, if you can email us an image to info@changechecker.org we’d be happy to take a closer look for you. Thanks Luke

• Matt says:

I have a Darwin £2 that has a similar red outer rim, any ideas what it might be?

• Luke Hearn says:

Hi Matt, We have had a look at Adam’s coin and believe that the colour difference is down to the coin becoming tarnished over time. Thanks Luke

• Adam Grigg says:

I have tried emailing g you a few times now but it never seems to go through. Do you have a alternative email address please kind regards adam

4. Toni Donnison says:

Do you do the four commonwealth games £2 coins in a change checker pack?

5. Paul cornish says:

I have a £2 coin, The first world war with the slogan your country needs you dated 2014, wonder if it was worth anything.

• Luke Hearn says:

Hi Paul, This is the First World War Centenary £2 coin which has a score of 44/100 in our £2 Scarcity Index making it the 12th rarest £2 coin. We do not offer valuations for individual coins but I would say that it is a great coin to have in your collection. If you did want to find out what it is worth, I would suggest having a look on eBay to see what other are selling similar coins for. I hope this helps. Thanks Luke

6. Mrs Amy Burn says:

I have a fire of London coin I found in my change what does the table mean that shows it’s at number 6 at 66 ??

• Luke Hearn says:

Hi Amy, This means that, according to our calculations, the Great Fire of London £2 coin is the 6th most scarce of all £2 coins. The rating of 66 is out of 100; essentially the higher the score out of 100 the more scarce a coin is. So, you have a nice collectable coin there! I hope this helps, thanks Luke

7. tina says:

I have a 50p with dolphins on. I have never seen any more since I kept that one years ago. Is this one a rare one

• Luke Hearn says:

Hi Tina, This sounds like the 50p Dolphin coin that was released in Gibraltar, so a great coin to have! It is certainly nice and collectable. I hope this helps, Luke

8. Kronies1664 says:

Hi, I have the ‘1807 – Slave Trade’ £2 Coin. I have been lead to believe that the coin I have is extremely rare as the writing around the side of the coin is upside down when the coin is positioned with the queens head facing upwards. Would someone please advise if this coin is indeed rare? Many thanks…

• Luke Hearn says:

Good morning, thank you for your comment. We have written a blog about upside down edge lettering, which I believe you are referring too. You can read it here I hope this helps, thanks Luke

9. Katrina says:

Hi
    I have the William Shakespeare 2016 crown and sword coin but it’s flawed. The print with the date is too high and slightly cut off. Could that be rare and worth something or would it still have the same kind of value?
    Thanks

• Luke Hearn says:

Hi Katrina, without seeing the coin it is hard to say exactly but it could well be a mis-strike. We have written a blog on mis-strikes which you can read here If it is a mis-strike, it wouldn’t necessarily make the coin more valuable but it could well make it more collectable as it is more interesting. I hope this helps. Thanks Luke

10. Annmarie Stevens says:

I have a lot of different 2pound coins was wandering about prices, for example I have a first world war your country needs you 2014 coin

• Luke Hearn says:

Hi Annmarie, Unfortunately we cannot offer valuations on coins but I would suggest having a look at a platform such as eBay to see what others are selling similar coins for. I hope this helps. Luke

11. Natalie says:

I have the Northern Ireland commonwealth £2 I can just make out the marking on the cross on flag

12. Ilona says:

I have 66. Great fire of london

13. Wendy Robinshaw says:

Hi I have the 3 Shakespeare coins I would just like to know how much they are worth .

• Luke Hearn says:

Hi Wendy, good collecting! Unfortunately we cannot offer a direct valuation, but I’d suggest having a look somewhere like eBay to see what a similar collection is selling for. Hope this helps, Luke

14. Michelle says:

I have a William Shakespeare £2 with a crown and dagger on is this a collectable and how many different Shakespeare £2 designs are there?
    Tia

• Luke Hearn says:

Hi Michelle, This is the ‘Shakespeare Histories’ £2 coin, it scored 27 on the Scarcity Index which is actually pretty high. So, I would suggest that it is definitely collectable, especially if you can find the other two Shakespeare £2 coins (Comedy and Tragedy). I hope this helps, Luke

15. No further comment.

16. Lee says:

I have all £2 coins now after I found my last 1 I needed last week

17. 154667blog says:

I have all of the £2 coins except Commonwealth Wales.

18. Peter H Dendy says:

I have all 25 £1 coins inc the last round one. Now to get started on the £2 coins. I have a couple that’s not on the list. I have them in safely tucked away
    Peter

• Nik Martin says:

There’s more than 25, some coins come out a second time, so have a different date and queens head on them.

19. Karen Gregory says:

How do we find the value of these coins?

• Luke Hearn says:

Hi Karen, Unfortunately we cannot give valuations on coins however I would suggest checking on an online marketplace, such as eBay, to see what other are selling similar coins for. I hope this helps. Thanks Luke

20. Jenny ridal says:

Hi ive got a £2 coin it’s all gold coloured and it’s got a dove one one side I haven’t seen one of these before could someone tell me if they have one thank you

• Luke Hearn says:

Hi Jenny, this sounds like the pre-1997 ‘Peace’ £2 coin. You can read more about it in our app if you click this link. I hope this helps. Thanks Luke

• Peter Rose says:

1995 Two Pound Coin 1995 1945 IN PEACE GOODWILL 1995 50th Anniversary of the end of The Second World War

A stylised representation of a Dove as the symbol of peace designed by John Mills

21. Peter Rose says:

50P Jemima Puddle Duck – 2,100,000
    50P Tiggy Winkle – 8,800,000
    50p Squirrel Nutkin – 5,000,000
    50P Team GB – 6,400,000
    50p Battle of Hastings – 6,700,000

22. Joanne says:

Hi I would just like to know how much this £2.00 pound coin would be worth please I have a scull William Shakespeare 2016if you could help I would be grateful thank you.

• Luke Hearn says:

Hi Joanne, from looking at the Scarcity Index I can confirm that this is a sought after coin even before The Royal Mint have issued mintage figures. Unfortunately I am unable to give you a valuation for the coin but I would suggest checking an online marketplace, such as eBay, to see what others are selling this same coin design for. I hope this helps. Thanks Luke

23. Yehuda says:

It would be much appreciated if you can put numbered images of the coins correlating with the coin description (in the same way that was done with the £1 coin. Thanks

Liked by 1 person

• Luke Hearn says:

Hi Yehuda, the £2 Scarcity Index has been laid out in the same style as the one we did for the round £1 coins. Some of the press have displayed all the coins with the relevant score but it’s certainly something we will bare in mind when we release the quarterly updates. Thanks Luke

24. Reblogged this on charlesobrien08 and commented:
    Could make a few think of making an extra few quid from a few quid!

25. Pingback: Rarest and most valuable £2 coins in circulation revealed – do you have a design worth £72? – 1OO Club

26. Jim Kentley says:

Why is the Britannia £2 so low on the index? (30) when the mintage is the same as the Navy coin – the 4th highest at 67.

• Luke Hearn says:

Hi Jim, When compiling the Scarcity Index we take a number of factors into consideration not just the mintage figures. For example, we look at how many of each design are listed as “collected” by Change Checkers and also the number of times a design has been requested as a swap over the previous 3 months. A certain number of coins are also taken out of circulation each year due to damage and wear and tear. It will be a combination of these that lead to the different ratings for the Britannia £2 and the WWI Centenary (Navy) £2 coin. I hope this helps. Thanks Luke