How rare is my coin? The Complete Change Checker Guide to UK Coin mintages

Have I just found a rare coin? It’s a question which collectors ask daily, and to help answer it, we’ve put together these charts listing each coin in order of its rarity.

change-checker-pyramid-diagram-2-pound

The Northern Ireland 2002 Commonwealth Games is the rarest £2 coin currently in circulation – in fact the four designs in the 2002 Commonwealth Games series occupy the top ten list.  There were only 485,500 Northern Ireland 2002 Commonwealth Games £2 coins minted, that’s just 0.1% of all the £2 coins ever struck!

Others to look out for include the 2015 Navy £2 and the 2015 Britannia £2, both coins have recently been issued into circulation and share joint third place on our graph.

The complete guide to the rarest coins in circulation
Themes have followed a similar pattern over the years with the four constituent countries of the United Kingdom being represented in cycles. The rarest One Pound coin currently in circulation is the Edinburgh £1 which was part of the series depicting the capital cities of the UK.

The Edinburgh design is the only £1 coin with a mintage below 1 million and by way of comparison, over 443 million Royal Arms shield £1 coins were issued in 1983. The 2011 Cardiff £1 and the 2010 London £1 follow closely behind, so all very sought after £1 coins to have.

Another coin to look out for is The Royal Arms £1Although this is a common design which is regularly ignored, make sure to look out for one with a 2008 date – that’s actually the fourth rarest £1 coin.

change-checker-pyramid-diagram-50p

The rarest coin in circulation, of any denomination, is the Kew Gardens 50p. the Kew Gardens 50p has been valued at up to £50 on online market place eBay. Its status as the most scarce coin has been well publicised, and as a result, many are hoarded by collectors. This chart illustrates just how rare it is compared with other Fifty Pence designs.

The complete Change Checker jer guide to the rarest coins in circulation

The Olympic Fifty Pence series is very popular with Change Checkers, but in terms of rarity, there really isn’t much separating the top 10 designs. The Football ‘Offside Rule’ 50p was certainly one of the most talked about designs, and it also narrowly ranks as the scarcest.

So, keep hold of your coins. You never know what they might be worth in the future! And remember you can Find, Collect and Swap all your coins for FREE with the Change Checker App: www.changechecker.org

This entry was posted in Blog Home, Coin Info, Mintages and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

63 Responses to How rare is my coin? The Complete Change Checker Guide to UK Coin mintages

1. Jo Spoore says:

Please can anyone advise me….
    I have come across a gold 20p dated 1982 does it have any value ?

2. Sam Robinson says:

Why is the EEC ’92-’93 Presidency not on the list?

• Yasmin Britton says:

Hi Sam, the 1992/3 EEC 50p is no longer in circulation so we have not included it on our graphs. Hope this helps. Thanks, Yasmin

3. David Shaftoe says:

I have a Benjamin Britten 50p coin is it worth anything?

4. Annalise says:

Are the new 5£ notes (AK33 405047, AJ50 894449) worth anything please get back to me ASAP thnx

• Yasmin Britton says:

Hello Annalise, as far as we are aware it was just the banknotes with the AA01 prefix, you can see our previous blog here: https://blog.changechecker.org/2016/09/22/check-your-fiver-now-it-could-be-worth-100/ Hope this helps. Thanks, Yasmin

• Terry McElligott says:

They are only worth face value Annalise.
      Each of these new prefix number £5 plastic/polymer notes have the same circulating figures. Starting with AA01 000001 (which our Queen owns) up to AA01 999999, same with AA02, AA03 etc etc. There are a million of each prefix so none are rarer than the next on that account. The hype has been caused by the media, so people have been collecting the first issue of the first new style banknote which has an appeal to collectors. You pay what you think it is worth to you on places such as Ebay. My advice if you want one of these would be; it’s the condition of the note that is important. Uncirculated quality holds a premium value over the prefix.

5. Sarah says:

I have a old 50p is it Worth Any money

6. Hannibal says:

I to have a 50 with no face 2016

7. Trevor gardnet says:

I have a Gibraltar 1 pound coin with a tree on one side with the queens head with a necklace on on the other was just wondering if it is rare

8. Suzanne Ackerman says:

Apart from the obvious flags…
    On the 2002 commonwealth games £2 coins…
    is there any other way of distinguishing between the England coin and the NI coin??
    After being in circulation… the flags are VERY similar 😩

9. robert says:

when will the 2016 Mintage figures be out ?

• Yasmin Britton says:

Hi Robert, unfortunately we have no control over the mintage figures and we have to wait until the Royal Mint publish them on their website. I would think that the mintage figures for the 2017 coins will be available this time next year. Hope this helps. Thanks, Yasmin

10. Peter H Dendy says:

I found a 1855 Queen Vic half penny. Just a small chip out the top otherwise very good condition.
    I found it with my metal detector in my own garden.

11. Simon Lee says:

I have a royal coat of arms 0.10p. It only has half a date on it and some of the lion is missing on the other side. It looks like it hasn’t even been stamped on there (what ever you call it). Also the wording around the outside is slightly thicker when compared to another coin of the same design. Could someone tell me if this is a rare and genuine misprint.

12. Ronke says:

I have a 50p that I cannot find on this site, does that mean it’s not a real British 50p?

13. Martyn Vaughan says:

How rare is my penny from 1913 with queen Victoria in her veil?.

14. Martyn Vaughan says:

How rare is my 2013 50p with coat of arms on it?.

15. Lawrence Smith says:

I seem to be finding a number of Magna Carta £2 coins. The mintage figures are the same as the Royal Navy. Have the Navy coins been released?

• Yasmin Britton says:

Hi Lawrence, the mintage figure for the Magna Carta £2 was 1,495,000. The Navy £2 has a mintage of 650,000. All the 2015 issues have now been released into circulation although the Navy was the most recent release – couple of weeks ago. Hope this helps. Thanks, Yasmin

16. Chris says:

Royal mint error 2 pound coin 2014 world war 1 with upside down in unreadable righting lookin for a bailie an if ur untreated in buying it

17. Alan Spicer says:

Why do you leave out the designs that go on year after year? Just using the £2 coin as the example, the 2005 Technology had a mint age of 3,837,250 and the same design 2009 & 2010 and 2012 (mintage 3,900,000 would all get into your list.

• Yasmin Britton says:

Hi Alan, thanks for your message. We don’t really mention the mintage figures of definitive coins unless they do end up being in the top 5 rarest. If we were to mention all the mintage figures of every definite coin the graphs would be never ending.

We have however mentioned the definitive 2008 Royal Arms £1 in the £1 graph as this coin is the third rarest £1 coin.

Hope this helps and thanks again for your message.

Thanks, Yasmin

18. eugene says:

Hi everyone, my name is eugene and i am from singapore. i was given a 1920, 20 pound gold coin by my late grandad who is of english and german origins. the coins now has got a faded look , just wondering how much this would be worth…..my personal email is mriba1512@yahoo.com.sg

19. Nick Beaumont says:

This is just incorrect. It ignores many older decimal designs. The rarest 50p by a long shot is the 1992/1992 one, with half the mintage of kew.

20. David Sheppard says:

How many of the coins listed are taken out of circlation by the Royal Mint ?

21. Emma Brandwood says:

What about the Beatrix Potter coins. My mum has just found a Peter rabbit coin in her purse and I would like to know how much it is.

22. Dieter says:

Many Thanks for that but can we have one for Pre 1997 50p and £2 Coins

23. Keith Lenton says:

Great information, thank you

24. Andrew says:

Woohoo I got the Kew Gardens 50p in my beer change at the weekend!! There still out the people😀😀

25. K w says:

you missed out the blue peter 50p

26. Mark warburton says:

Why don’t you have the 2008 Brittania 50p in the 50p list? ???

• Yasmin Britton says:

Hi Mark, we’ll get this added to the graph ASAP.

• Mike says:

I actually found one in my change yesterday and this was the first place I came to find out about it otherwise I wouldn’t have noticed, luckily I still had the old format picture saved ☺

27. Jeremy Holloway says:

Why doesn’t anybody swap coins on here any more?

• xmaspot says:

Jeremy, I arranged to swap 2 coins with a member called Rikki Dobinson through change checker swaps. I posted my coins (one a very rare 50p) recorded delivery. I never received coins from Mr Dobinson, in fact I never heard a peep from him again even though I mailed him. Royal mail said they had not been able to deliver. Hence I don’t trust anyone to swap anymore.

28. Mike says:

Is there any reason the 2008 Brittania isn’t on the list? It had a mintage of 3,500,000 and it’s circulated 😕

29. Andy says:

On Royal Mint’s facebook, they’ve said there will be 650,000 2015 Royal Navy £2 coins going into circulation, so will end up being 3rd/4th rarest. Then 1,495,000 Magna Carta and around 5,000,000 Battle of Hastings 50ps.

30. Mark says:

An excellent article. Thank you for taking the time to put it together.

31. Joanne campbell says:

I have a very thick Normandy landings 50p coin, is this worth anything the date on it is 1994

32. James says:

I have the Kew Gardens 50p 😀 Well happy about finding this one out aha

33. Christina lewis says:

I have the football Olympics 50p 4 Peter rabbit 50p and a new £5 with code AA08 and AM58 are they worth anything?

• Paul W says:

Yes…..50p, 50p, £5 & £5 ……..they are only worth their face value

What a collector may pay if they want one is another matter…….however other than the early AA01 polymer notes the rest are really only worth face value……don’t believe the hype

34. Angus says:

I’ve got a Christmas 50p with birds on how rare is it

35. Elizabeth Hunter says:

Like the format, very interesting thank you x

36. Lou Atkinson says:

Swimming 50p without face is not on the list.

37. Reblogged this on charlesobrien08 and commented:
    Good to keep a hold of,could stop a “discussion” from being a bit hot!LOL.

38. christopher guy says:

I have a 2007 scouts 50p what is its value and how do i get the money for whatever its worth

39. Martyn Vaughan says:

I have a 2016 50p with the coat of arms on it.Just wondering if it is a rare one?.

40. Sam Robinson says:

Would also like a list of the earlier £2 and 50p coins.

• eric says:

you’re right. I have 50p that is even rarer than kew. it’s called EEA or something like that

• Paul W says:

Indeed it is…..it is the 1992 EEC Presidency with a mintage of only 109000 which is just over half that of the Kew gardens…..I have it in BU as well as a silver proof version

• Terry McElligott says:

The circulation figures are found on the Royal Mint website.